Social Media

dinsdag 19 april 2011

Social Media and Sports


The introducing of one of the most influential social media 'tools', Twitter, changes the world on a couple of aspects. Famous movie actors (John Cleese, Elijah Wood, Robin Williams), directors (Ducan Jones, David Wain, Kevin Smith) and singers (Britney Spears, Paul de Leeuw, Snoop Dogg) use Twitter to inform other Twitter users about their daily life. World famous sporters are also active on this social medium, which bring the sporters closer to their fans. However, is the dissappeared distance between sporter and supporter a positive effect?

The sporter with the most Twitter followers worldwide is Lance Armstrong. The seven time Tour de France winner is followed by 2,801,195 people and give them updates about his foundation, his life or his sports activities. Another famous sporter on Twitter is Alberto Contador, who twitters his messages in Spanish and English so that all his fans understand him.

Carlos Puyol, Cesc Fabregas, Leroy Fer (all soccer players), Robert Gesink, Robbie McEwen, Laurens ten Dam (all cyclists), Shaquille O'Neal, Paul Pierce, LeBron James (all basketball players): are there still sporters without Twitter?

Despite the accessability to the life of famous sporters, twittering sport people are, in my opinion, unwelcome. Fifteen years ago, when I first visited my favourite football club Feyenoord Rotterdam, I saw my idols on the pitch. Through the years I watched games of players like Pierre van Hooydonk, Robin van Persie, Solomon Kalou and Dirk Kuyt and wanted to know everything about them.

However, since Dirk Kuyt has a Twitter account, I found out that I don't like that. A 'twitpic' with Dirk eating his favourite meal, Robin van Persie with his little son: I don't like it at all. A sports idol or hero: I want to keep them away, far away. That's why I want to do a request to all my sport idols:


PLEASE STOP TWITTERING!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten